Thursday, May 21, 2009

Trial and Error

Many things in life are trial and error efforts. I think that many things are never tried because the perceived cost of the error is too high, when in reality the cost of not trying was much higher. We are trying a new discipleship program at Risen Christ that is designed to put people on similar subject matter at age appropriate levels. It is rather risky in many respects: teachers may rebel, the adults may find it unengaging, the youth may struggle to make it relevant, and so on. The problem is that we need to be intentional about our development process. I think one of the outcomes of this type of program is that we will have to create several classes that meet during the week for people to help them move through our larger discipleship program, since Sunday morning will be consumed with this Big Idea programming.
But what is the cost of not trying something, anything. As the saying goes, "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got." With the new sanctuary going into place we need something new, innovative, challenging, in order to engage the people whom God will inevitably send. I pray that this is a step in the right direction. It is, a very least, a step off dead center. And as I like to tell my people, God can direct a moving car onto the proper path much easier than He can a parked car.

1 comment:

  1. Eric, it was a pleasure meetingh you this past weekend to discuss the images for the new chapel's stained glass windows. I am very excited to start presenting ideas to you and the commitee for approval.

    ReplyDelete