Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Troublesome Tension


What an incredible challenge a building project is!! Everyone has in their own minds an image of what the finished product should look like, which is greatly incongruous with what everyone else is thinking. While it is exciting to be discussing furnishings, carpet, color pallets, etc. When I hear someone express a vision or opinion which is different from the one in my head I have to constantly stop myself from reacting and ask, "Is this something I really care about and am willing to fight for my vision, or is this really non-essential?" For I keep catching myself preparing to debate (think argue) with folks over things that I could give either way on. For example, pew chairs or removable pews in the first two rows. I have been envisioning pew chairs, because that is what is on the drawings, then someone suggests short, removable pews to give a greater continuity to the space. While my first reaction is to reject the pews out of hand (it's not my vision) it really does make a lot of sense. There are an ever increasing number of these minor issues for which I have an opinion, but am not willing to go to the wall over.

I wonder how much this actually applies to my life in other areas? With my family? What to watch on TV? How to do this or that around the house? I had better stop thinking about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment