Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Power of Vision

Proverbs 29: 18a (KJV)
18 Where there is no vision, the people perish.
This has never been driven home for me as it has in watching other congregations go through the renewal process. One church I work with in Cincinnati found itself in an economically changing community. They had a thriving school that went through Jr. High. The school was their outreach, their purpose, their identity. Because of changes in the community, and a season of strife in the congregation, they were forced to close the school. They found themselves adrift in a community they no longer knew, without a purpose apart from Sunday morning worship.
As I worked with the church, I discovered a dynamic and passionate leadership team who were eager to be about God’s mission. They began to examine their community, congregational assets, and leadership passions in detail. What they discovered is that God had a vision for them. They were being called to meet the educational needs of children and parents in the community in new and powerful ways.
They are just beginning to talk about their new dream. They have yet to implement, or even flesh out the plan in its entirety, and yet the energy is becoming electric. One member approached the pastor after a recent Sunday service, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, said, “I have a complaint, pastor. I had to park in the back of the parking lot for the first time in four years!” That is the power of vision. A church was perishing because it lacked vision. With a vision of God’s plan for their church, they are already beginning to thrive.
What is the vision of God’s purpose at Risen Christ? Take a moment before you read on and think about it. If your neighbor asked you that question, would you have a response?
While the leadership team is wrestling with this question in a holistic way, the first part of our answer is as follows. “Risen Christ Lutheran Church exists to bring spiritually barren people into a fruitful relationship with Jesus Christ.” Read it again. What does it say to you? Where can spiritually barren people be found? In our neighborhoods? In our places of employment? In unhealthy churches? In our midst? (Did I just hear an “ouch”?)
What does it mean for someone to be in a “fruitful relationship” with Jesus Christ? What would that look like? What would the marks of that be? How could you tell someone who is in a fruitful relationship with Jesus, from someone who is just playing church?
It is not enough for me to tell you what I think the answers are, you must wrestle with this yourself if you are to own the vision in your own discipleship journey. I will give you some of my thoughts next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment